Saturday, May 23, 2009

Varg Vikernes Released from Prison

On May 22, 2009 it is reported that imprisoned Varg Vikernes (Count Grishnackh) has been release from holding and has returned home to his family. Written in an article by Keith Carman shortly following the paroled in March,Vikernes states, "I have learned from my mistakes and become older. Now I just want to be together with my family... I have barely seen my son since he came into the world. Even though I hear his voice on the phone almost every day, it is very tough to not be present while he is growing up."

While incarcerated Vikernes had done two recordings but discontinued due to the notoriety that his music was drawing as being Satanic, which he felt was a negative misinterpretation. The official Burzum website ,from a 2006 letter, reads that Vikernes may release new material upon his freedom, that he "will publish a few books, possibly using a pseudonym in order to stay anonymous, and perhaps a Burzum album or two, but that's it."

While his interview in his March interview he states he is "ready for society," the official Burzum site from a 2006 post reads something quite the opposite. "I don't want anything to do with You or the thoroughly sick world You live in." He further exclaims "I am going home, to the Norwegian countryside, to the wilderness and fresh air, to a healthy farm-life and Mother Earth's embrace. You can have Your plagued urban brothel and Your sick mongrel Hell on Earth to Yourself." From that statement I doubt Vikernes will wish to deal much with society upon his freedom.
While his release may be final, many people hope his art is not. Vikernes has yet to comment on if he will record new music since his freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment